Monday, January 9, 2012

DIY Cloth pads

image of cloth moonpads


I decided to stick with the period theme this week since it's my special time of the month, and share some cloth pad info.  I guess by now most women are aware of the cloth pad fad...I remember first reading about it like 5 years ago on the net and being totally shocked.  I was at work and my female co-workers and I were looking at the pics and thinking about the idea and laughing about it.  But then while the other girls continued to laugh, I started to realize that cloth pads were actually not that crazy of an idea.

-environmentally friendly (reusable, so you don't have to create more trash)
-economical (reusable, so you don't have to constantly buy new pads or tampons)
-cute (lots of fun patterns)
-customizable (different shapes, sizes, and functions, add layers, etc)
-vegan!
-better for you than tampons (see my post on tampons here)

Today there are so many sites and shops where you can buy pads, wet bags (to store used pads in while you are on the go), storage bags (for unused pads) and all kinds of accessories.  But, if you're like me and you don't want to spend the money (even though it's actually cheaper in the long run to buy a bunch of cloth pads at one time than to buy disposable period products every month) then maybe you could try to make your own! Here is just one site I found that offers tons of free DIY cloth pad tutorials, patterns, and info: http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/clothpads/DIYpads/

I really recommend checking it out.  I know a lot of people out there still think this is a gross idea, but it's really not.  I mean, think about what women did throughout history when they were on their period...they tied rags around themselves.  That's where we get the phrase "on the rag" actually.  It's just something we gotta go through.  So why not have at least a little bit of fun with it by getting some cute rags?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment