Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Board #1: Kiwi

Every week my husband and I try to pick a different "fruit of the week" in order to get a little variety in our grocery shopping.  This week we bought kiwis...and I decided to do inspiration boards to get pumped up about food...so here's my first one for kiwi.

Kiwi is extra special because I actually just started eating kiwi for the first time about 3 months ago.  Yep, I went 28 years without eating a kiwi.  Why? Because I didn't like the way kiwi flavored candy tasted, so I assumed the real fruit was gross too.  Then, 3 months ago I felt a UTI coming on so I went to my husband's shop to see if I could get some cranberry juice.  One of the girls who works there suggested kiwis since they are also a good food to eat when you have a UTI.  I was never aware of this!  Well, the girl had already cut up some kiwi and put it on a plate for me and I didn't want to look like an asshole so I stuck a little teaspoon into the soft, furry fruit, scooped out a little green chunk, and was totally....shocked. It was so delicious!  I really just couldn't believe how sweet and tasty it was.  I was so pissed at myself for avoiding these for so long.  What an idiot.  Needless to say, since then I have been buying a lot of kiwis (we also like to put them in the green smoothies!) Kiwis have become one of my favorite fruits actually.  Who would have guessed.  And after the kiwi, 100% pure cranberry juice (blargh) and different teas, I prevented a UTI! The very next day I felt better again.  Insane.

image of kiwi fruit inspiration board

Top row from left: chocolate covered kiwi pops, kiwi fruit cupcakes
Row 2: kiwi and hazelnut spread crepes, kiwi coladas
Row 3: kiwis, kiwi sorbet

No comments:

Post a Comment